Musical Terminology, Stylistic Features & Forms
Feb 11, 2014:
This week's featured term is... figured bass. Below are some key points:
- What is it: musical notation (or shorthand notation) in which numbers are used to indicate what notes are played.
- When was it commonly used: during the Baroque era.
- What type of instrument is needed: one that can play chords, such as a harpsichord.
- What does it look like in music: a single note written within the score with numbers indicating the interval or scale step above/below the note to produce a chord. For example:
1) Figured Bass:
2) Figured Bass written out as chords per the numbers indicated in figure 1: